Our annual Native and Indigenous Kick Off or, “N&I KO”, is an exciting immersion event designed to assist incoming American Indian/Native American, and Indigenous* students in transitioning into the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. N&I KO consists of several days of activities, and specialized programming developed by Native and Indigenous UMN staff and current students for new Native and Indigenous students. It also includes some programming designed in partnership with the Multicultural Center for Academic Excellence (MCAE). N&I KO takes place before the University’s official Welcome Week and the start of the academic semester. It also coincides with MCAE’s Kick Off program.
At N&I Kick Off, participating students will:
- learn more about helpful resources (such as on-campus academic and intellectual, financial, and health/wellness resources), tools, tips, and strategies for flourishing throughout their journey at the U
- learn more about the campus
- connect with current Native students (our N&I KO “Leaders”), Native and Indigenous faculty and staff, and fellow incoming Native and Indigenous students
- enjoy the special benefit of moving into on-campus housing early (if applicable)
We warmly invite all incoming students who identify as Native and/or Indigenous(*) to participate in our unique program!
* Note: we use Native and Indigenous here to include those who identify as American Indian/Native American, Alaska Native, Canada First Nation, Native Pacific Islander/Pacific Islander (including Aboriginal Australian and Torres Strait Islanders), and other Indigenous communities not listed here. American Indian and Native American students are welcome to attend regardless of their Tribal Nation citizenship/enrollment status.